My Therapist Claims There's Hope

He also said Nick is a puss infected SLUT.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Easter is comin'


When I was a little girl my Grandfather took my nail clippings, dug a hole next to the garage and planted them. He told me that if we watered it a hand would grow. Do you know that I checked every time I went there to see if the hand had grown yet. I'm not sure what story he told me once I picked up on the fact that the hand wasn't growing. I remember when we would go visit my grandparents on our first evening there Grandma would have made either fried chicken or spaghetti. That was always our first night meal. Also, my Grandfather would take me to Faye's Drugstore. I remember once he bought me Mexican jumping beans. Man, those beans were the shit. I lost my first tooth at their house. Biting into an apple I think. I remember cutting my finger pretty good while trying to cut a piece of watermelon - my mom was pissed! Also this is the first place I ever had bagels, and I loved them! I can remember where the candy and gum dish was also, in the back of the kitchen in the pantry in a small dish. Not much to choose from, but it was always there.

They lived in a duplex, sort of, in Ilion New York. They had a full 3 bedroom house and attached to the other side were like 2 apartments or something. This is where we celebrated Easter every year. My Aunt Pat and cousins Chris and Jodi would be there, and all of us from Ohio - my Dad (they were his parents), my Mom, my sisters and me (my brother wasn't born yet) and I think for most of those years my Mom's Mom would come out too (Grandma K). Man, those were great times. One year the "Easter bunny" hid an egg that wasn't found until the next year in one of the floor lamps. That was nasty! I can remember sitting in the front room where the organ was and that is where we slept. Easter was like Christmas back then. Seemed like an endless supply of candy in our baskets. And toys. We would wake up Easter morning astonished at the kitchen table and all of the baskets and all of the loot!

I miss those days. I miss my Grandparents. I miss the bump in the sidewalk down the street that you could jump your bike if you hit it fast enough. I miss Lee who lived next door and I kind of had a crush on him. Mostly I miss all of us being together. Holidays aren't the same anymore. I wish I was a kid again. I wish if I was a kid again I could appreciate those times.

10 Comments:

  • At April 12, 2006 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally know what you mean. I have some amazingly vivid memories of seeing my grandparents back in the '70s.

    It gets wierd and kind of lonely the older you get doesn't it?

    Geez - I'm a ray of sunshine aren't i? ;o)

     
  • At April 12, 2006 6:39 PM, Blogger Lo Lo Lova said…

    At least you have fond memories to look back on. I have very few fond memories of my grandparents. On my Dad's side, my gram was an alcoholic and my gramps died when I was 8. I never knew my Mom's parents, since they abandoned her as a kid and she lived with an aunt and uncle who were rotten people. I'm not trying to throw myself a pity party; I'm just saying you are very lucky to have such fond and vivid memories to revist and keep you all warm and fuzzy inside :)

    "Youth is wasted on the wrong people!"

     
  • At April 12, 2006 10:13 PM, Blogger Melanie was here said…

    WBB- you are so right, it does get lonely. It seems everyone is so busy now and holidays are split amongst all the different families now that it seems everyone is divorced and has 17 sides of the family to visit. I relish every single memory, and trust me - there are so many more, but I didn't want to overwhelm anyone. The 70's were amazing in that I had all but one grandparent, I felt so incredibly loved and felt like I was immortal. Now rocks too in that I still have both parents, all of my siblings and all of my nieces and nephews. So, the fun continues, but now I have to be the grown up and don't get to just blindly enjoy it all. I love you ray of sunshine, I believe it is the same as mine :-)

    Lo Lo - I am sorry that you don't get to have the same memories or the same sort anyway because they are incredible. However, you have loving parents, an awesome husband and a miracle son so you get to make all of Boo Boo's memories!

     
  • At April 13, 2006 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can put something in italics by placing the tags

    and


    around what you're writing.

    That probably won't display properly.

    PS I did appreciate your moral support. See it works!

     
  • At April 13, 2006 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dammit! It didn't display properly. I'll try again

    "" ""

     
  • At April 13, 2006 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nope, that didn't work either. I officailly suck at this.

     
  • At April 13, 2006 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know exactly what you mean Mel... Even though I don't have those vivid memories... I would love to be a kid again. Especially knowing what I know now. I'll be at Shooters for Easter with my mom. My brother won't be there. Atleast you have a lot of family to visit!

     
  • At April 15, 2006 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You really bore me.

     
  • At April 16, 2006 8:46 PM, Blogger Ubermilf said…

    I'm awake.

     
  • At April 17, 2006 5:36 PM, Blogger Ubermilf said…

    I like Easter chocolate.

    I have some left over.

    I'm going to eat it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home